Berkey fluoride/arsenic reduction elements are designed for use in conjunction with either the Black Berkey™ water purification elements or the British Berkefeld Ceramic Filters to adsorb the following unwanted elements found in drinking water.
PF-2 (Used with Black Berkey Purifiers) AND PF-4 (Used with British Berkefeld Ceramic Filters)
- Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
- Other residual heavy metal ions
- MTBE (Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether)
- DBCP (Dibromo-chloro-propane)
- THMs (trihalomethanes)
- Herbicides & Pesticides
- Heavy Metal ions
PF-2 (Used with Black Berkey Purifiers)
Under normal conditions it is recommended that each set of two Berkey PF-2™ elements be replaced after 1,000 gallons (3,785 liters). The Royal Berkey™ system is about 3.25 gallons (12.3 liters) therefore the Berkey PF-2™ filters should be replaced after 1,000/3.25 (3,785/12.3) or 307 refills. If the system is refilled about one time per day, the Berkey PF-2™’s should be replaced after 10 months, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the Berkey PF-2™’s should be replaced about every five months). Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
PF-4 (Used with British Berkefeld Ceramic Filters)
Under normal conditions it is recommended that Berkey PF-4™ elements be replaced at six-month intervals. Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of total organic carbons, volatile organic compounds or certain inorganic minerals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of these elements.
- Do not boil this element.
- Berkey fluoride elements reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
- The lower reservoir in most gravity purification systems has a two to three gallon capacity and a typical household uses about one refill per day. We recommend that the upper reservoir be filled at night. The water from the upper reservoir should be purified by morning. Households requiring more water can speed up the flow rate by drawing off the purified water into a water pitcher or other container when the water level in the lower reservoir rises above the bottom of the Berkey fluoride elements.
- If residual process dust is still visible after priming, please repeat the priming and installation process as described in the installation instructions.